Life Ten years ago
The world had still not started preparing itself for the terror of Y2K and I was steaming in to terrorize batsmen, who weren't allowed to hit too hard so as not to hurt the fielders awaiting their turn to bat, right before class. The carefree air of not bothering about sweat before the first period even as classmates had started dating (this used to mean something else when you were in class 8 in the last century by the way) one another is what I look back most fondly at. Oh, and I remember feeling this novel emptiness as I heard about that nice Lady's car crashing in a Parisian tunnel and her subsequent death. C'est la mort, I guess.
Life Five years ago
Running through the deserted wet streets of the campus and attracting weird looks from the few chapta PhD students on a cold Saturday morning amongst delirious cries from fellow demented souls, waving the tricolor, after Sehwag and Tendlya had uppercut Akhtar and co. out of the World Cup. And then a week later, depression and the morning after nap in the underground gymnasium cum lounge of a friend's dorm after Dada's minions had let the butterflies win.
As Morgan Freeman said in The Shawshank Redemption, same shit different day, but it is Friday. So, SSDD with a movie thrown in.
Five locations I would love to run away to
Words like 'run' are blasphemous to me and the laziness in me revolts with alarming activity, but if I could be airlifted from my Lazyboy, I would want to end up in
- Amsterdam (not for the tulips or windmills)
- Those lost mountains Che goes to in The Motorcycle Diaries
- That place in Africa where Nick Cage breaks down all his guns in The Lord of War
Five bad habits I have
It's going to be hard to choose just five. The others might feel bad, but ...
- Very rigid in my likes and dislikes when it comes to people. If I don't like you, it's gonna stay that way even if you save the world and if I like you, it'll be that way even if you rape and pilferage the whole of El Dorado.
- Too transparent.
- I like challenges when I am taking someone's case. If they don't like it, I find myself getting villainy and stepping it up a notch.
- Too laid back.
- Wisecracks in movie theaters, especially during sessions of extreme hamming.
Five things I will never wear
- VIP Frenchies
- Kolapuri chappals (they look swell, but hurt the soles of my feet since childhood)
- Collarless shirts
- Shoes with strings
Five biggest joys at this moment
- Dhoni and Ishant
- My cousin who is fat and is called Joy by his Dad
- Macbook Pro (just ordered one!)
- Sunshine and the impending advent of summer
Something to achieve by next year
To break out of this cocoon - comforting, yet so stifling.
Something that impacted me last year
The weaning off her and the advent of regular blogging.
What will I miss about 2007
Tina and the original members of the Boise Wela Group.
Five things I want to do before I die
- Give an Oscar acceptance speech for Best Foreign Film where I end up thanking no one.
- Spend a week in bed like John and Yoko.
- Teach myself to play my acoustic guitar.
- Smoke a joint with Papa.
- Hire someone to shave me regularly and drive me around.